Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The road less travelled

Today while walking in the snow to my car I was noticing the well worn paths of my peers and how they had all seemed to choose a similar path and made what reminded me of a well worn deer trail. It makes sense to follow a trail as it saves energy by following a broken-in path as well as keeps your shoes from getting snow in them. I decided to waste some calories and change things up by trudging off through the untouched snow and winding through some trees. As I walked I couldn't help but notice that there were foot prints and tracks already marking the path I was choosing. Even though they had become almost unrecognizable because of the new snowfall or the blowing winds. I could see that even in my attempt to be original and spontaneous I had accidently happened upon another's path and the thought occurred to me that just as I am walking and treading on this earth now, there have been people before me and there will come those after me. We are all connected, the only thing that is different is that I am the present, they are the past and those who walk in my paths after me are the future. When those of the future pass the same way I just tread I will become part of the past and therefore I am already part of the past in a way... Does that make sense to anyone else? We are all connected...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Joel! The way you think is so deep and amazing. If only I could think like that. I find that my mind is completely black at times and I think about nothing at all. It would be so much for fun to think the way you do. I admire that in you. We miss you!

Anonymous said...

I ment blank instead of black, but black works too.

Pam said...

I just know I would follow you anywhere and I am always impressed with the paths you take.

Caity said...

Ditto! I love that no matter how busy you are you always have time to find the road less traveled and then reflect afterwards! It also got me to thinking about how everything comes from Heavenly Father. Nothing on earth that we do is new and original because it comes from Him. So we need to follow his footprints. I think that is what I mean.

Megan said...

That's really beautiful, Joel. I love you for things like this. I admire your deep respect for God's creations, including His children.