Sunday, August 19, 2007

Groundhog day.

I have no inclination to look up the real date of groudhog day but I thought it interesting to find out that the Groundhog and the Woodchuck ARE THE SAME ANIMAL. I am sure this is not news to many but I always assumed them to be different and never was up close to one to question its identity and habits. At my wife's family reunion, my sister in law Suz, pointed out a large woodchuck running back and forth across the driveway. I was able to investigate and sit out for a while at the rented cottage and see that it lived beneath a woodpile. Fitting for a woodchuck! I was curious however because it's burrow had large holes and a lot of expelled dirt (attributed to groundhogs) just as I had recently been seeing at my university. That is when I associated that the two creatures might be the same. A quick internet search confirmed it. I was able to get a few confused looks from the animal as I sat near it's hole and heard the characteristic whistle of alarm the animals give when it dashed into the safety of it's hole. I was also amazed by how saggy the fur appeared to be as it stood on it's hind legs looking at me. I learned the woodchuck fattens up in the summer so it can hibernate through most of the winter and thus the" If the groundhog comes out of it's den and sees it's shadow..." thing at groundhog day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't so long ago that I also discovered the same thing about the two names, I've always just called them woodchucks and thought a groundhog was a different but similar animal found somewhere else. I believe "groundhog" is more of a regional term used in the south, at least traditionally, but TV seems to only use the term "groundhog", and so people unfamiliar with the animal here will probably know that term instead. As far as the date: February 2nd - should be easy to remember - pretty close to somebody's birthday ;)

Suzanne said...

All I know is when I saw it, I thought man that thing was big. I wont forget you jumping in and climbing around in the trees to get him to come out. Kind of fun I got to be a part of it.
-Suz