Saturday, October 27, 2007

Service Projects Galore!

In the past week I have had more opportunity to serve than I might normally have in a month! When I lived up north it seemed every weekend was spent helping someone by stacking wood, doing yard work, clearing land or working on roof. I learned a lot of valuable lessons and skills but most of all learned how good it felt to help another and how good you sleep after a real hard days work. This week I have been able to help move someone, deliver a bowl of soup, landscape and seed a yard, dig out a stump an old man was working on, and load and deliver firewood to a friend. (ALL FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE!)
To be honest I have been distant from work in the blister and sweat sense. I have also allowed myself to be "TOO BUSY" to help in the past and have missed many great opportunities. My point in blogging about my experiences is to simply express that I have felt like more of a brother and more of a friend to those around me in the last week than I have in the last year. Through service we can find relationships, peace and perspective that is otherwise out of our reach.
In offering this I am in no way reveling in my accomplishments in the service arena, in fact I am feeling pretty humbled and low for letting this part of my life almost slip away by my own neglect and lack of priority. What saddens me is that I am sure last week and the week before that and so on, have all had just as many or more opportunities to serve but I have not either opened my eyes to the need or I have let my personal agenda take precedence.
I challenge everyone to look around them and take the opportunity to do something solely for someone else's benefit and likely you will also rekindle one of the sweetest parts of your life. For those who already serve so well, my hats off to you! I hope I can one day be like you.

5 comments:

Pam said...

Joel you have always amazed me by the amount of service you render WITHOUT ONE COMPLAINT! EVER! So if you haven't been serving lately that is the exception not the rule. Thanks for the reminder.

Caity said...

Not to mention you watching our kids for almost every night for the past 5-6 weeks! You amaze me. Truly, you're my hero. One of the greatest things about service is how you grow to love the people you serve. I need to practice that a lot more. Thanks for the reminder. By the way... I hope one day to be just like YOU!

Beth Soelberg said...

Joel, awesome post. It reminds me to not only render service but be GRATEFUL for the opportunity, and not begrudge anyone my time or talents (after all, I've covenanted to give them all to the service of the Lord!).

Anonymous said...

You have been the man for service ever sense I've known you. I don't know very many grown adults that would chart two plus kids around on a sled for hours, or let them ride on your back in their underwear or even worse naked. You have always impressed me with your ability to serve. Before you start getting down on your self realize, even the small chat, smile, or wave may have made a difference. I know it's not the get in the dirt get blisters thing but still a huge service. Your awesome! I adore you, but even more than that, my kids ADORE you and that says something about your character.

-Suz

Anonymous said...

You are sooooo amazing Joel and that is why we miss you so much....You sound like you have been busy beyond belief, but for wonderful reasons...We look up to you and are so greatful to have you in our lives...well we wish we had you more in our lives at the moment, but someday we will hopefully get to hang out as much as we use to...Love ya