Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Bundle up!

The weather forecast is calling for snow by the end of the week. We have had some wet and cold days as well as some moderately warm days in the past few weeks. I am not one for the cold but I do enjoy the snow. Funny how that can be! What I love is the way that snow absorbs sound and as it softly settles over a landscape it seems all time slows down with it.
I am not for the cold typically because I just find it takes so much more energy to perform typical tasks and for the many memories of being unprepared and freezing in the past. My first winter camp-out was a disaster and even though I can say I ended up having a great time it proved to be very uncomfortable! I feel with years between me and my first snow-filled winter camp-out I can somewhat unabashedly tell you I forgot gloves and ended up wetting the bed (Sleeping bag)!
Not a very comfortable or safe scenario to find yourself in! I have to laugh now at the pitiful situation as I remember how severely cold I got and how my clothes were frozen stiff! I was too embarrassed to ask for help and ended up shivering and shaking through the night and luckily found socks on my hands to be a somewhat viable replacement for gloves! I am amazed I ever went back to winter camping but can usually attribute a difficult or uncomfortable situation with teaching me the most about preparedness and the art of improvisation! I am much better prepared now (Fur suit and all) and have come to look forward to the snow even if that means it has to be cold.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I'm sorry but that just made me laugh. Man, I remember a lot of really cold campouts my sons bore bravely and I can honestly say, I will continue to enjoy winter from a more comfortable viewpoint. I did enjoy walking last year through some snowy, beautiful days and it was truly magical.

Caity said...

Snow is magical, but I agree with mom. Winter campouts have never appealed to me much. But I'm especially excited that I have no baby this year to use as an excuse to not get out in the snow with my kids! Watch, Tanner will hate it and cry the whole time anyways. I'll be optimistic though!