Sunday, June 10, 2007

weekend wonders.

This weekend was by far one of the best I have had in a while. I didn't have to work and had no real plans which made for an opportunity to be spontaneous and carefree. Caity and I went to lake Michigan and took our first plunge. It proved to be very cold yet very fun and invigorating. The wind was pushing in large waves and so it made for a fun time running in and out with the tides. Emma and Tanner were there and had an enjoyable time even for how windy and cold their feet got. I also was able to go fishing both with my family and with Drew my brother-in-law. We had a great time and got plenty wet in the lake near my home. Carp were in the cattails and rushes so we chased them around and tried grabbing them which didn't work out well but proved exciting. On Sunday after a great church service we napped and then went for a walk down to the lake. We had roast waiting in the crock pot so I decided it might finally be the day to try cattail as a side dish. I showed Caity the edible parts and we ate fresh cattail heart (the inner soft core) on the lakeside. They were great! I had heard they tasted a bit like cucumber and can agree with the rumors. Caity enjoyed them too! We brought some of the green hot dog looking cattail heads home and steamed them and ate them as a vegetable side dish which proved very good and interesting. I would say if your an asparagus and corn fan you had better run down to your local cattail hotspot and get harvesting! I knew the cattails were a keeper because Caity and Emma asked for seconds!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to try the cattails some time...sounds interesting :) have to admit there is a good harvest the the north and south of you, just 2 blocks either way :)

Beth Soelberg said...

What's so funny about that is that we had the missionaries over for dinner this weekend, and I asked them if they were allergic to anything. One of them is apparently allergic to cattails, and I said "Oh, don't worry, I won't have those on the dinner table!" Maybe that will change now!

Caity said...

It was probably more interesting than good ( : No, it wasn't bad surprisingly! The funny thing Beth is that Joel did make them for the elders and Elder Crane laughed his head off. He said he had always said that as a joke, but never thought he'd be saying it for real! We're so weird. I want to call him to see if he swelled up over night.

Suzanne said...

Hmmm... who's doing the cooking in August? :)

Megan said...

Man, I love you Joel.