Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hay there!

I use Google Reader to keep updated on a few different topics. A new feed that came my way yesterday was about houses and buildings made of strawbales. Yep the kind you see driving down the country roads! I found a further search on Google quite interesting about how to build these high efficiency homes out of material that is both practical and easy to come by. Here's sort of a new twist on an old method of house building. Wikiups and other shelters were often made out of straw or woven grasses. We have all seen or heard of thatch roofs. So why not strawbale homes? Check it out! Unfortunately children's books have shed a bad light on this building style (poor little pig) but I am sure there are no wolves huffing and puffing these days.

All the pictures above show houses that are built in this fashion. Notice the stucco look? Pretty cool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll let that pun slide, as long as you know there is a difference between straw & hay! Anyways, I was wondering if these houses come complete with a fireplace?

Pam said...

Wouldn't it be fun to actually visit one? I would be so curious to see them and ask questions. I never dreamed such things really existed. Fascinating...

Megan said...

That is wild! Holy cow! Well... if anyone could build a house of hay and make it look like a mansion, it would be you Joel.

Caity said...

I think you are the coolest EVER! If you went to all the trouble to build me any sort of house, I would live in it (or at least try :)