Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Nature area clean-up

This evening I was able to to see the truth to; "Many hands make for light work". I work with the Boy Scouts and Young Men organization through my local church. They are a fun group and had decided to do a service project for the weekly activity. The scouts lacked a project so I volunteered to come up with one. I had in mind a park (and wild area behind it) and made the plans. It was great to see the clean-up and the difference that followed the plans.
I had expected about 20 persons but it turned out to be about 30! The whole clean-up took about 1 hour and we got rid of a lot of junk and refuse. I had been out there before with my wife and we had personally cleaned up about two large trash bags of litter. I had planned on spending a little time here and there until I could clean it all up someday so as you can imagine this project has freed up some play time out there instead of work time which I am excited about.
I love this wild area and park because it has lakefront bordering the wild area which I would guess to be about 4 acres, and it has a large park about the same dimensions. I have eaten mulberries, blackberries, raspberries and dewberries from its trees and bushes. It also has carrots, strawberries, grapes and plenty of cattails for eating. Some sugar pines offer a soft place to nap during the summer and the birds play among the thorns. I want to give anyone who reads this blog a challenge: Next time you go on a walk or to the park take a bag with you and at any time your feet or eyes cross paths with trash just put it in the bag and dispose of it.
You can do it! Let me know how it turns out!

5 comments:

Caity said...

I'll try that next time. You are so wonderful with your love for nature and wanting to be a part of it. It really is so inspiring to me. I love that you also took our kids to help :) They'll know their stuff by the time they're our age, huh?

Pam said...

I'll take that challenge. While I'm visiting my grandchildren I'll include them. I am proud of you. One person can make a difference and well 30 can make an even bigger difference. It is all good.

Megan said...

I love you for that, Joel.

Anonymous said...

save some trash for the bright orange jail-birds though, we wouldn't want them to get bored.

Anonymous said...

Here's a link I think you could appreciate.