Sunday, January 6, 2008

Camp-out!

On Friday and Saturday I was able to go camping with the youth of my church. The temperature was in the mid thirties and we had a light drizzle every so often. I didn't attempt to practice any outdoor skills using primitive techniques, because I was in charge of the whole event and knew going into this that time would not be on my side. I was the first to the site and had to shovel some paths and start the fire as well as set up a tent for me to stay in. The boys stayed in a large canvas military tent which was on the site ready to go. Before anyone arrived I was able to get away and take a walk across the frozen lake and I explored along the lakes perimeter. I found an old attempt at a log cabin. Nature brings all things back to her and the cabin was already starting to return to the earth that the cabin logs had grown from. It is always interesting to contemplate who had been there and had desired to dwell and how time and nature had other plans.
I had a great time with my brother who came out, and we snowboarded and sledded with the youth among the trees on a large hill overlooking the campsite. I noticed the hill behind where we would start our runs and could see the snow and leaves all torn up from deer. I saw a few turkey tracks and plenty of squirrels who had taken advantage of the above freezing days to gather and forage. I was glad simply to be outdoors and to be able to contemplate my life. I go back to school tomorrow and in doing so will find limited opportunity to be outdoors, which is understandable but saddens me. The good news is that nature will always receive us when we do return home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun..especially the sledding part...Drew and I have been hoping to go, but have not made it yet. Glad to here you got your little sanity in the outdoors before school started back up!!!

Caity said...

I'm glad you got to go too. I miss you while you're at school today, but you're going to be done soon, YAY!

Pam said...

I always enjoy your view of life and nature and love to read your thoughts. I think nature can add years to our lives and help us connect with our divine souls. I've said it before and I'll say it again, nature is the best place for me, at least, to connect with Heavenly Father. It is truly God's cathedral.